Monday, October 25, 2010

Now...where was I?

Whoops...forgot to post again. I have been taking photos, however.

A few updates.

So, the undersink cabinets in the master bathroom were only half finished when I moved in. I had them completed and that was super. However, I have no drawers or organization whatever inside the cabinets, so I had a lot of stuff out on the counter. This lead to a cluttery ugliness.
Observe...






To solve a problem that didn't actually exist, on a trip to Ikea with Greg and Andrea about three weeks ago, I picked up three square charcoal colored trays to leave on the counter. The deal I have with myself is I can keep things out on the countertop but they must stay on one of the two trays. Otherwise, underneath it shall go. I think it looks nice.






I also started to paint. I started with the wall between the office/guest bedroom (Dolley's room) and the second bathroom. With this step stool I can actually reach the ceiling to tape!

I am set to do my painting on my own. A friend suggested a decorator who came for a few hours last month and gave me some suggestions, including paint colors and etc.

I went to Potomac Paint, a great local paint store on Lee Highway last Sunday morning. I even chatted with a professional painter who was picking up an order. He gave me a few tips and said that my preparations sounded good. I had decided to go with Benjamin Moore Natura low-VOC paint. I read some mixed reviews of it, but I was really happy. It didn't smell AT ALL and dried nicely, rather fast. I did two coats. I'd highly recommend it, even with the $42 per gallon cost. Right now I have three colors in mind for the living room and bathrooms. Bedroom colors will come a little later as soon as I see what my bed will look like. The bathrooms will be a cream color called "Monroe Bisque" and only two of the living room walls will be a green called "Weekend Getaway."

Finally, the small wall between the bathroom and Doll's room is called "Sienna Clay" and my next step is to find a big mirror to hang on it, a suggestion from the decorator. I think it'll look pretty cool. What do you think of my painting technique?

No comments:

Post a Comment